A cup of hot chocolate in one hand, with a mystery novel in another. Sitting in that cozy corner by the fireplace with a blanket on top, a whisper of cold breeze enters through the window edge, making you shiver and tuck in deeper on the couch. Yes, we bid adieu to the season of the sun, and enter the winter season. It’s the time of the year when the temperature drops and you seek to add a cozy yet inviting vibe to your homes. While blankets and heaters help you keep warm, one of the easiest and most aesthetic ways to do this is by adding a rug to your space.
Beauty, elegance, and grace is one thing that a handmade carpet might lend to your room, but since it is crafted with thick materials like wool and jute, it adds warmth to your space. In North India, we face extreme weather. Whether it’s summer or winter, spring or fall, every season here requires a little extra to cope. Thus, instead of using single rugs this winter, you can choose to go for layering. For those not familiar with layering, it is a concept where you place multiple rugs on top of each other to create a visually interesting and textured look. It involves overlapping rugs of different sizes, patterns, textures, and colors to add depth, warmth, and personality to a room. As mentioned earlier, rugs are made with thick materials, thus with layering, the aesthetics of your home are elevated along with the addition of extra warmth.
Points to consider while layering-
- The size and placement of your rugs matter the most. Select a larger rug with a solid or minimal design to set the foundation and place a smaller rug with a heavy texture to add that contrasting effect. Choose the shape and size of the rugs according to the space available in the room and the area where you wish to place them.
- Make sure to choose contrasting patterns. This helps to give the room an additional zeal of aestheticism and helps differentiate the rugs easily as well.
- Choose colors that complement each other and help you give a diverse look. Selecting rugs with colors that do not match each other might induce warmth in your space, but would hamper the aura of your space.
- The placement of the rugs should be in descending order. Place the larger rug 1st(at the base) and then adorn it with a smaller rug. This maintains the visual hierarchy of the space.
People often prefer layering rugs over area rugs. Layering of rugs is a popular suggestion by professionals as it allows one to personalize his/her space, introduce different textures and patterns, and add visual interest.
Here are a few benefits of layering-
- Layerings help break the monotony of a large carpet in any space. An area rug might appeal to people but we as humans are designed to be attracted to the unusual. While the eye would appreciate a single carpet, layered rugs will immediately steal the attention.
- Layering defines your space. In a single open-room apartment where everything is in one place, placing different rugs on a single base carpet will help segregate the space.
- Layering reduces your efforts in carpet cleaning. The upper carpet acts as a protection against accidents like spills and stains.
- Versatility is another pro of layering. Multiple rugs help you update your decor every season, plus your furniture would blend in easily with multiple flooring options.
- Warmth and comfort remains the key point in the winter season. While a single carpet does that too, the more the better. Layering rugs help you add that extra soft plush underneath for enhanced comfort. These rugs help induce warmth in your space, soak the heat from the fireplace, and keep you warm underfoot.
If you are looking for rugs specifically to help you through the winter season, the material and the thickness should be your top 2 considerations. Though rugs are naturally thick, make sure to choose a woolen carpet to keep your home warm and snug.
At Obeetee Carpets, you will find just the right rugs to create a cozy winter home. Crafted using the best quality materials only, each of our rugs induces warmth and comfort to your space along with adding an aesthetic appeal. From modern to traditional, vibrant to solids, patterned to minimalistic, we have a variety of versatile options that you can choose to layer. Each rug blends in effortlessly with any decor and lends the surroundings a unique character.
Since rugs insulate floors, prevent heat loss, and help maintain the temperature in your space, layering rugs is a practical solution for resting in a warm, inviting, and versatile home during winter.